Are you concerned about current health care policies? Are you even more concerned with the future of this issue? Health care is intertwined with business, markets, government and private business. It is international and it is consumer-oriented as well as focused on health care workers and physicians and health care facilities. To help you sort out the issues and to see how they intertwine, we’ve created a list of 50 top healthcare policy blogs for your convenience.
The following blogs are current, and they’re divided into various categories to help your search. Each blog is listed alphabetically within these categories to show readers that we do not favor one blog’s perspective over another.
- DoctorPundit: This is a healthcare and science policy blog, a compilation of one physician’s thoughts on these topics and is intended for health care industry professionals and the general public.
- Dr. Buttery’s Public Health Blog: This blog covers topics that range from access to prevention and from health education to policy and research.
- Health Policy Blog: The Mayo Clinic Health Policy Symposium blog provides a venue for discussion of crucial health reform issues that were tackled at the 2008 Mayo Clinic National Symposium on Health Care.
- Health Wonk Review: This blog is a biweekly compendium of the best health policy blogs on the Internet. This compendium provides readers with a way to sample the “best of the best.”
- John Goodman’s Health Policy Blog: John Goodman’s perspective on health care policy and news.
- The Health Care Blog: Wall Street Journal calls this blog a “must read,” and Industry Insider stated, “Learn more in ten minutes than you could reading your local paper for a week.”
- WSJ Health Blog: The Wall Street Journal provides news and analysis on health and the business of health, including how health care policies affect both topics.
Health Care, Marketing and Communications
- Health Care Vox: Know More Media sponsors this blog, which focuses on healthcare communications and marketing news and information.
- Health Policy and Communications Blog: This blog is intended to foster discussion and analysisabout how health policy and communications issues affect clinical and economic outcomes.
- Schwitzer health news blog: Gary Schwitzer, from the University of Minnesota School of Journalism & Mass Communication and publisher of HealthNewsReview.org writes this blog.
Health Care Economics
- Health Care Policy and Marketplace Review: Bob Laszewski’s review of the latest developments in federal health policy and marketplace activities in the health care financing business.
- Healthcare Economist: Jason is a Ph.D. economist with research interests in healthcare policy issues, healthcare policy economics, the health insurance market and Medicare.
- Health Populi: Jane is a health economist and management consultant who has worked with health care stake holders for over two decades. She focuses on the forecasting, business planning and more.
- The International Medical Market Place: This blog reflects its title, as it is an up-to-date report on international medical market information.
Health Care Reform
- Guaranteed Healthcare Blog: This blog is focused on the single-payer model for guaranteed public health care.
- Health Beat: This project by The Century Foundation features Maggie Mahar’s expertise and outlook on health care reform.
- Health Care Renewal: This blog addresses the threats to health care’s “core values, especially those stemming from concentration and abuse of power.”
- New Health Dialogue Blog: The New America Foundation is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy institute, and they sponsor this blog on health care policy reform and other current health care issues.
- PNHP Blog: This blog, produced by the Physicians for a National Health Program, focuses on single-payer resources and health care reform.
- Retired Doc’s Thoughts: A retired doctor focuses on health care reform issues.
- The Alan Katz Health Care Reform Blog: Alan has long been a strong advocate for agents and the role they play in America’s health care coverage system.
- The Walker Report: Jon Walker writes about politics and policy, with a recent focus on health care reform. His blog entries also can be seen at Health Care for All.
- Center for Global Development Blogs: CGD’s blogs provide frequent updates, analysis, and informed commentary on specific health policy issues.
- Global Health Report: Health journalist Christine Gorman searches internationally for what works, what doesn’t and what needs to happen next in global health.
- Global Voices: Over 200 bloggers from around the world bring translations and citizen media reports to this venue. This link leads to the health section of this blog.
- Health Affairs Blog: Read perspectives on national and international health affairs from the staff of The Policy Journal of the Health Sphere as well as from contributing voices.
- Stayin’ Alive: Discussion of public health and health care policy, from a public health perspective. Topics include economics, politics and sociology of health and illness in the U.S. and the world.
- World Health Care Blog: This site was launched as a companion blog to the World Health Care Congress conference series and is sponsored by World Congress.
Health Care and the Workplace
- HR Benefits Alert: Entries on this blog focus on special reports and articles that bring Human Resources issues to light, including employee health and welfare.
- OSHA Underground: A mostly anonymous group of bloggers, who are concerned with workplace safety and health, contribute to this blog about OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration).
- Terry Neese’s Blog: This blog focuses on health policies for labor, women and more.
- The Sentinel Effect: Richard Eskow, CEO of Health Knowledge Systems in Los Angeles, focuses on health care services and workers’ compensation industries.
- Wellforce: A Certified Occupational Health Nurse, wellness practitioner and health coach writes about health behaviors, prevention practices, consumer empowerment and health policy.
- Wellness Corporate Insights: The owners of Wellness Corporate Solutions, a leading Maryland-based employee wellness company, offer this blog to help benefits brokers, HR managers and others in the wellness industry keep current.
- Workers’ Comp Insider: Lynch Ryan’s weblog about workers’ compensation, risk management, business insurance, workplace health & safety, occupational medicine, injured workers, insurance webtools & technology and related topics.
- Bioethics Discussion Blog: Dr. Bernstein posts a new ethics topic about once or twice per week so you can discuss the topic with others.
- Global Bioethics Blog: Stuart Rennie at Chapel Hill is a research assistant professor in bioethics, an ethics consultant for projects in DR Congo and Madagascar and is a grant project manager who focuses on bioethics and research ethic issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Health Care Organizational Ethics: This blog, written by Jim Sabin, is centered on discussion and debate about health care organizational ethics and the health system in general.
- Medical Ethics Blog: Stuart Laidlaw has covered faith and ethics since early 2006 at the Toronto Daily Star, and he continues to sort out ethics as they apply to medical ethics on this blog.
- Hooked: Ethics, Medicine, and Pharma: Dr. Howard Brody provides insight, updates and commentary on the topics he wrote about in his book by the same name as the Web site.
- Vaccine Ethics: Vaccine news and commentary from the University of Pennsylvania Center for Bioethics.
Health and The Law
- FDA Law Blog: This blog is maintained by Hyman, Phelps & McNamara, P.C., the the largest dedicated food and drug law firm in the country.
- Health Care Law Blog: Bob Coffield is intent on helping businesses and health care providers weave through a variety of state and federal health care regulations and assisting them in business transactions.
- HealthBlawg: David Harlow is a health care lawyer and consultant who focuses on legal, policy and business issues that face the health care community.
- HealthLawProf Blog: S. Elizabeth Malloy from the University of Cincinnati College of Law talks about health care reform and much more.
- Journal of Health Law and Policy: Stay up-to-date on health law and policy through this blog produced by the Saint Louis University School of Law.
Government Policy Watchdogs
- EnviroWonk: If you believe your environment has something to do with your health, follow this blog to learn more about current and changing environmental policies.
- Eye on FDA: Mark Senak, an attorney with experience in public health, provides his opinion on issues emanating from the Food and Drug Administration.
- Not in my Food: The Consumers Union believes that all citizens have a right to know what is contained in the food we eat, and keeps a tight watch on the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- OMB Watch: This blog focuses on promoting open government accountability and citizen participation with health, safety and environmental issues.